Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Using Images from Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons is one place you can get free images that you can legally use along with your articles, blog posts, and wherever you like. This can be very helpful, as articles and blogs with images often seem more dynamic and interesting to the visitor.
 

New Orleans is my favorite city in the World. It is so full of art, music, and culture that if you visit there you'll never run out of interesting things to do.


The photo above is a historical sign that tells a little bit about the history of the Crescent City.

It's also an example of a photo I found on Wiki Media Commons, to use as an example. The photo was taken by Justin Watt and can be found on Wikimedia if you do a search for New Orleans. It can also be seen along with some other great photos here: Spring Break in New Orleans.

It's important when using images from Wikimedia to scroll down and read what kind of permissions are granted. This one is free to use without any stipulations, but I mentioned the photographer above because it's generally considered proper etiquette to mention the source if you use artwork, photography, or writing that came from someone else. It's more friendly, whether or not it's required. Wikimedia is free to use, and if you sign up you can also share your own work if you like. Your spring break photo's may help another writer, artist, or teacher somewhere down the line.

In my case, I have another blog that happens to be about New Orleans. When I get into playing with that one, this is a good example of a photo I might use, particularly if I was making a post about the history of the city. If you'd like to see that blog, you can find it here: Keys to New Orleans . It could also be useful, if I was writing an article for Associated Content, or one of the other places I write.

In any case, check out Wikimedia when you get a chance, if you don't already use it as a resource.

1 comment:

Say Hello! :-)